All I can say is BIG WIN for our Philadelphia 76ers. Not only was it against the 2nd seed Detroit Pistons, but it comes after a very disappointing performance at home Monday night against the Celtics. That is the sign of a team that is turning the corner. A loss like Monday’s can easily deflate a bad team, but the Sixers proved they are no longer in that bottom category in the league.
This win, along with others recently, tells me a lot of very promising things about the team:
- They are ready to compete with the better teams in the NBA. Beating Phoenix and Detroit on the road and Dallas at home is clear proof of that.
- For this young team a win on the road against the Pistons is a huge confidence boost going into a potential first round match-up with Detroit. Sure they may get beat up in a 7-game series, but it won’t be from lack of effort.
- Consistency – The Sixers are no longer losing games to bad teams or losing for long stretches, but they are putting together healthy winning streaks of their own.
- Winning characteristics – The ability to steal one on the road and win ugly against a good team is a classic trait of a solid basketball team.
- We have the right coach – This point alone deserves its own post. Maurice Cheeks has done a few things that are worth reiterating here.
- He has proven he can get the most out of marginal talent.
- He has proven he can develop young players.
- He has proven he can put this team in a position to win every night.
- Most importantly, he has proven he can motivate his players to compete every night. They haven’t had many let downs against weak teams the last two months, and they have gotten up when they have beaten good teams.
Tonight’s game was another win most people marked down in the loss column. These surprising wins are a welcomed trend for a city of fans that has been searching, dying for any reason to support this team. Now we have it.